Thursday, October 25, 2007

Unix in a low cost laptop (Part 2)

The last weekend I restarted my game with Solaris. I downloaded the las release (8/07) and attempted to install it.... with the same results like before. I'm very disapointed: my laptop is the most common system in the market -I think-, with the Intel 945 chipset.

Then, a few days ago, Ben Rockwood published in his blog that the openSolaris community published the new release of the Nevada OS (Solaris open source test build) with a new installer. Downloaded and a new test.... better but not working. Better? Why?... because the installer starts to configure '/dev' but after more than half hour it is still configuring the same (nothing). The machine seems to be not halted (the cursor is still moving) but no led is flashing (hard disk or dvd).

I think the openSolaris community is going to repair this problems soon and then I will be the most happy user of it. Unfortunately my system knowledge and I programming skills are not enought to do this job.. snif.

Well, at the end my Acer laptop is running the last release of Ubuntu (7.10 Gutsi). It isn't as beauty as Fedora but all people says is the best for home use. After change the appearance theme I'm going to test this Compiz window manager. Now is fast as Vista (not very much at all).

See you.

No comments: