Friday, April 10, 2009

Fuel goes Gigabit !!!

From a long time that everybody want his systems with GigaBit EtherNET. In SGI systems there is a few options and usually are expensive. In fact, SGI cards are really 3Com rebranded ones and a mod can be done. All cards have a Tigon 3 chipset (Broadcom 5701) but with different PCI identification in its EEPROM.

First mod was a new driver kernel, you can find all the information in this post of the nekochan forums, but with this kind of mod the card only runs in a patched IRIX OS.

The best solution now is two modify directly the EEPROM with the ethtool software included in linux distributions. You can find how to do this mod at the end of this post. In my case I tried with my old Fedora 7 installation I have in my workstation with no success, then I recovered and old Gentoo LiveCD 00.2006 and applied the modifications.

Now I have my fuel with GigaBit EtherNET but I have to end my network wiring at home!!!!

No comments: