Saturday, November 7, 2009

Black screen on Nvidia Quadro NVS and SGI 1600SW

From some time ago I have my SGI 1600SW monitor with its Multilink Adapter attached to my Dell workstation. I was pleased with the image quality, although its slow refresh. But sometimes when rebooting or when the monitor turns on after an sleep I had a black screen. I was thinking that the problem could come from the monitor or the adapter but I have tried with my second 1600SW and the results were the same. Then I plugged my Fuel and the problem dissapeared. Now i have some problems with the V10 gfx card of the Fuel but this is another problem.Obviously my small Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 was the problem. It has some problems with rare resolutions.

After some days thinking which card I have to buy, ATI-AMD FirePro or a bigger Nvidia Quadro, I had good luck: A new Dell workstation arrived to my office with a Nvidia Quadro FX570. I decided to try at home and the result was fantastic: no more black screens. Now I'm waiting for a new Quadro 570 that I bought last thrusday.

No comments: