Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I am alive: NEW SERVERS!!!!

A lot of time without updates... chilren, job and travels have the fault. But this month I started a long awaited projects: my file server and a small web server. For the first one I bought a Gigabyte GA-SR114R as a attached raid array controller, but I don't have the array yet. For the second roject I have a Cobalt RaQ4.

Gigabyte GA-SR114R
This is a low spec 1U profile rack server. Now it has a Pentium IV 2.000 MHz and 1GB of RAM. It also has a LCD+Keybad attached in the front to use it as a appliance. My idea is put some linux but while I don't have the array I use it for testing. Solaris is installed for now but no more test are done...

Cobalt RaQ4
This is my first preference to buy from a lot of years ago. Now the prices are very low (it cost to me less than 100€) and are fantastic machives to play and use it as personal blog pages, etc. The Raq is arrived without system installed and the hard disk in the wrong IDE bus. After changing the wires and the position of the hard disk I was able to load the Sun Cobalt OS 6.0 on it.
The appliance is labeled as RaQ4i (expanded version no RAID) but loading the OS the LCD says it is a 3001R. May be it has a RAID mainboard?... the second IDE channel is welded... unfortunately no hard drive is in my house to try.

I expect to do some more test this weekend. Stay tunned!!!!

No comments: