Saturday, December 15, 2007

System OS's

The last three nights I was installing the System OS in the Cobalt. The first attempt was with the original Restore CD shipped with the appliance. It went well and fast and I played some time with this fantastic GUI. Unfortunately the OS only recognized 4GB of my 40GB harddisk, it is a common fault with old cd's and can be arranged restoring with a newer disc.

The next day -wednesday- I tried the Zeffie's Restore CD. It started OK but freezed when the Checking disk... messaged apeared. At this point I turned off the RaQ4: BIG MISTAKE, I explain later. The last attempt was with the last Sun Restore CD available and it was, as the first disc, easy and fast to install. What a luck that I keep an old 3Com PCMCIA card in one of desks!!!

Then, thursday and friday, I spent my time uploading all the patches availables to the Cobalt. It was easy and fast at the start but when more patches were installed, more time needs the server to boot -like Windows ;D-. In one of this reboots I saw a message for a long time in the LCD, and then the servers start to run: Checking disk..., here I discovered my fault, the server was not freezed with the other cd, it was checking something and maybe it is checking the RAID system. Another message: RAID status OK, wouw!!! a need another disk to check. 72 Patches were installed, 54 are the original Cobalt Networks and Sun patches and the rest are a Zeffies creations.

In the Zeffie website, as a lot more like Raqport.com, Nuonce, Raqtweak or Solarspeed, is some newer packages but only paying the remote installing service (no download available). The next time I want to check the new OS from RackStar (Raqtweak) and Strongbold. Both OS are modified BlueQuartz GUI and a linux system OS, Fedora for RackStar and CentOS for Strongbold. There are ISO downloads and also normal PC's releases. For the CentOS+Bluequartz flavour, the download is available in NuOnce Networks. I will try RackStar (its free as NuOnce download) in my Gigabyte server, but Strongbold has to be paid because the efforts they did with the Cobalt installer (?).

Yesterday night I uploaded some more free packages (PKG):
  1. phpMyAdmin 2.2.6 & Midnigth Commader 4.5 .- I know these are very old releases but it's a good point to sart playing with this system. Unfortunately the phpMyAdmin package doesn't make new items in the Cobalt GUI and only can be used adding /phpmyadmin to the site address. These PKG's can be downloaded from Raqport.com.
  2. AWStats 6.1 .- Also an old PKG of this fantastic tool. Obtained from NuOnce it has some troubles when running the log script, permission problems, and I have to take a look to the instructions but seems to run OK, this is nothing important and I check later. Also from that web site I downloaded OpenWebmail, I installed it but not used.

Really, I'm impressed with the easy to use feeling of this appliance, the first Qube was introduced 10 years ago when PHP and databases were not well developed to web serve purposes.... God Job guys!!!

No comments: