Monday, January 11, 2010

SGI Fuel Firewire and other things

Today arrived (finally!!!) an Adaptec FW4300B, the red printed board one that works on SGI IP35 systems. By the way I decided to move the PCI cards I had installed to make the system more accessible: the Audigy 2 ZS card in the top PCI slot, the firewire card next and below the Gigabit Ethernet card.

This was the easy part but when I powered up the machine I just got automatic reboots. I was able to go into the maintenance mode and everything seemed good. The PROM shell console has commands to disable PCI slots but I don't know how to run the disable command: always getting an error with the modules identifier MODID.

Finally a decided to take out all the cards and boot. Once logged as root I reconfigured the kernel with autoconfig:
# autoconfig -vf
# reboot

After the first reboot I installed the sound card (powering off before, of course) and it started to work. During boot I had some error messages about the TG1 Ethernet card, although that card was not installed.

After a new power off the new firewire card (IEEE-1394) was on the next PCI slot. It also worked fine. And the last was to install the gigabit ethernet card. During boot I had a lot of error messages of IRIX (after PROM check) and then, the machine halted itself with red light bar. PROM hinv showed everything OK.

Remembering the fault messages of the TG1 card before it was reinstalled I decided to take it out, power on the Fuel and check for configuration files. I checked all inet an net configuration files without luck but, after a search at the web, I modified the /etc/ioconfig.conf file. Inside it there was a line that showed the 3Com card configured in the PCI slot 2. Deleted this line and a new autoconfig was done... Shutdown for one more time.

Then the system booted OK: just a warning message telling me that the two network cards had the same subnet. Reconfigure that in the System Manager and all was done!!!!! Woufff!!!!! How difficult is an Unix system than a Windows workstation!!!!!!

At the same time I installed a brand new Seagate 15K.5 hard disk, but this is my next job... Here you can see the aspect of the back panel with all three cards:

2 comments:

jpmc said...

you need a scsi card in there.

Titox said...

Nooooo. I will install a LSI SAS card!!!!